Sunday, October 28, 2007

French Drains

In recent years some marketing has been done to convince homeowners that an "on the footer system" is better because it doesn't clog like a "french drain". I must say as the owner of Pioneer Basement, having 30 years experience in basement drainage, I do not agree. In fact a modern day "french drain" called GrateDrain is much easier to maintain and service because it has access ports in all corners, allowing the drain to be flushed with hot water if needed.

These on the footer systems are really a benefit to the contractor not the homeowner. They take less time to install yet they charge as much as a "french drain" system. They do clog with iron bacteria and because the system has no access ports in the corner they clog and the only way to repair them is to re break the concrete floor.

The GrateDrain while costing more for labor, is the right thing for the customer. It is not installed on the footing but rather in front of the footer. It has large punched holes on each side with a center divider allowing the drain to collect more water quickier and directing it faster to the GrateSump.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Also, on the footing drains typically catch water at the cove joint only, leaving much excess water under the slab. Not only is this a less effective method, is can lead to eventual deterioration or wash-out at the footing level.

Another concern with on the footing drains is a thin layer of re-poured concrete over the drain once it's installed. A thin pour will crack much easier, which will result in leaks and/or vapor transmission around the installed areas.

J7 said...

It's looking Good Steve! Hopefully we can spread the word fast about the right way to do things down in the Basement!

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I was going to try out this French Drain but I wanted to see if you thought this would work for my situation. In the rear of my home is where my bathroom is located. It has a concrete floor. Directly behind the hot water heater is where all the gas lines run out of the house into the hill side. Currently there is only leakage in this one area. I'm getting ready to install a new hot water heater and do not want to do so until I get the water situation fixed. When we had high rainfall my bathroom got flooded. It seemed to only come from the area behind the hot water heater, telling me that this is where the work needs to be done. Can I even install a French Drain with all these gas lines?